Friday, March 28, 2008

what I should have done

I figure that rather than attempting to recount my past week and a half in betweer Spanish and Salsa, and getting only a few sentances, I should have just waited, or maybe explained why I haven´t really been writing.

the morning after St. Patrick´s day, tired as I was from all that really exhausting studying I had been doing, while I was preparing my second cup of tea, I found myself next to a girl I thought I had seen the night before, as I was walking past the Irish pub, on my way home from a museum to go study spanish like a good student.

anyhoo, I was mistaken, and she had just arrived at the school, oh that´s nice, where are you from, the states, and you? australia, and so forth. the bell sounds, end of conversation. during the morning break, I saw this guy sitting there, drinking coffee, and it starts again. your first week here? yeah, where´re you from? australia. aha.
and thus I met Paul, Nikki, Rhianna, Nichole and Paul´s Mom, Caren, and they are totally to blame for my lack of communication.

my average day for the past week has been school, during the break, paul and I have been playing poer with a few of the teachers, more school, lunch, school, free salsa lessons, which turned into Paul Nichole Nikki Rhianna and I taking a few hours of real class, dinner, and once paul and nichole have gone off, me hanging out with Nikki and Rhianna.

this meant less time sitting at a computer. also, although the school´s computers are free, there are lots of people who want to use them, and I can´t usually sit down and write a novel of a blog. and if I´m going to pay for internet, I want to use the whole hour I´m paying for, and I haven´t had time to find a cafe and sit down for a long time. or maybe I´ve just wanted to do other things.

this weekend I have a few objectives.

1) to move out of the house I´ve been staying in, to a hostel near the city center.
I love La Familia Garcia, and their food, but te house is a 7 block walk from the school, at least 10 from central park, and a lot of neat stuff to do is on the other side of the park. the hostel is cheaper than staying with them, and a lot cheaper than staying at the school, and they give me breakfast.

2) plan a trip to Tikal.
I´m going to Tikal next weekend with the girls, and we´re stopping at Cobán to visit the caves at Lanquin and the waterfalls at Semuc Champey on the way back. we got that far in the logistics of the trip when they left with Paul, Caren and Nichole to visit the Highlands for the weekend. so without any distractions, I have time to figure out bus schedules. woot!

3) send back all the shit I brought down here that I do not need.
I have twice as much clothing as I need, and a lot of other stuff that I either don´t use, or can´t be bothered to carry around the country. I wish I had a slightly smaller backpack. I´m going to the DHL store right after this.

4) communicate with the rest of the world.
hey! I´ve done that. good work mate!

so now you all know what´s on my mind, what I´ve been up to (in general) and where I´m going. now I´m off to edit my last post, maybe add some specifics, and cut out anything I´ve already said here.

see you over there


-Sam

No comments: